Friday, March 23, 2012

Christmas made easy:Preschool Edition


I am not the best at Arts and Crafts but I do like to create memories that surround an activity I do. My signature is "Keep-Sake-T-Shirts". While working at a preschool I tried very hard to come up with inexpensive ways to create a great activity for the students and something fun for me. I came to realize that when I enjoyed the activity so did the students, it seemed like they loved it even more if I did. Here are a few samples of the shirts that the "Butterfly Class" created.

Holiday shirts:
Begin by designing the shirts and allow one side to dry thoroughly before turning over to decorate the other side. Place cardboard inside the T-shirt, in order to keep the fabric paint from seeping through to both sides. Use stencils to create the design and patterns. And always remember, it's better to be simple and safe than over done and ruined!


 

Holiday stockings:
Simply purchase blank stockings. Write the students name on the stocking. Then allow the student to decorate as desired. This will allow them to have fun and its a simply activity. If stickers are used, as seen below, clean up is  extremely easy and this can be done before or after nap time.
Hand prints:
Every parent looks forward to having mementos that depict their child's growth over the years. A very simple way to do this, is by using the hand print. There are a multitude of ways that this project can be done. I chose to use clay. I bought "Playdough Air Dry Clay" and took out sections that I felt would be large enough once rolled flat to fit the babies hand. To make the hand print stand out more I dipped each babies hand into paint.Once their hand had paint on it, I would place their hand onto the clay and then push down gently so that there would be an impression and paint to mark the spot. Afterwards I decorated the outside of the hand print with paint or 3D stickers.

These projects took place over the course of two weeks since I was working with one year-olds.The shirts I did at home but they were supplied by the parents. The clay, fabric paint and stickers were purchased at Wal*Mart, while the ornaments were found in a craft store. In combination with the other projects this Christmas gift took a total of two to four weeks to complete! More of it was ensuring that everything dried completely before the next step was done. 

End product that was sent home with each student:
 




No comments:

Post a Comment