Sunday, October 12, 2008

Why do we know less than ever about the world?

Due to the fact the news in the United States does not make it a point to cover the world news and does not have any part of its company outside of the United States causes the average American to know only what the news shows. The news stations are more likely to cover a celebrity than to cover the issues that take place in other countries unless they have to do with the war in Iraq.

I do agree that people do know less than they did before about world news because the only issue that I know about are those that pertain to celebrities,the war in Iraq, gas prices and the campaign. When I do find out about issue that are no directly effecting the U.S. it is due to the fact that my family that lives outside of the country will fill me in.I would rather know about the issues in Africa, South America or Cuba than hearing about how Brittney Spears has slowly been making a come back or how Angelina Jolie adopted yet another baby.

As a teacher I would have students find and subscribe to at least two newspaper that are foreign and cover international news. They would have to have no affiliation with the United States and then from there I would make them do weekly reports on the worlds news.

No comments:

Post a Comment